I spent part of Saturday and Sunday playing around with root for my Archos 70 Internet Tablet. This little device has taken good care of me for a while. My only real issue was the last firmware update really messed some stuff up. Namely, a battery percentage issue (never hit 100% and seemed to drop unusually fast) as well as a soft bootloop when wifi lost a signal. Oh, and the biggest annoyance was it was SLOW! The previous working version (2.1.8) was just super snappy and worked AWESOME. I don’t understand how things got so messed up in the next two releases but after 2.3.26 was release it seemed that the Archos support team went on holiday. A month and a half went by where I couldn’t use my wifi and the device was barely functional.
Then last Saturday (a few days ago) I decided it was time to root my device and run Uruk-Droid from $aur0n. It was a pretty simple process and I actually did it twice. The first time I followed the standard installation and installed to my SD card. I liked the ROM (and the build on 2.1.8) so much I decided to wipe everthing else and install to the system memory. I’m so glad I did too. This ROM is awesome. If you have a 70 IT or similar I recommend you check it out.
Of course, today (two days later) Archos release the ROM I’ve been waiting months for. Right now I’m not even sure I’ll install it. I’ll probably wait for an Uruk-Droid based on it and install that! I’ll play with it a few days and let you know more.